Post-Graduation Work Permits' Application Period Extended by Canada

On Thursday, February 14, the Canadian government made a huge announcement in favor of international students in the country. After receiving notice of graduation, international students who want to remain in Canada as holders of Post-Graduation Work Permits (PGWP) henceforth have 180 days - six months to apply and the used-to-be necessary valid study permit has been dropped. There were also other changes to the popular PGWP program. Canada Makes Changes to Post-graduation Work Permit New 180 days application period for PGWP represents a remarkable doubling of the previous application period of 90 days. In the course of these 180 days, a study permit is only required to be valid at 'some point' according to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship (IRCC). The removal of study permit becomes imperative in order to give international graduates sufficient time to apply for PGWP without the concerns that come with an expired study permit since study permits usually cover students' academic program and application for PGWP cannot start until their institutions have issued the notice of final marks. Senior partner at a law firm in Montreal, David Cohen, lauded this development. He said the changes will make a significant difference for students looking to remain and gain work experience in the country.

Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

International students in authorized learning institutions in Canada get the opportunity of remaining and working in the country for three years after completion of their studies through an open work permit called Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). The study program must be at least eight months in duration. Under PGWP, a Canadian job offer is not a necessity for the application. The graduates with PGWP can take any job wherever they choose in Canada and can also change their employer at any time. Stay connected to Visa Time to get updates about visa news from Asia, Africa, US, Americas, Australia, Europe, and the Middle East! We will also assist you with the visa process for the chosen country.

Share your Comments

Please Login to view/submit Comments & Replys

Hi! How can we help you?

Click below button to start chat

Chat Icon
chat icon